By RANDY HOOVER
Fairfield Glade Security Chief
For The Vista
I truly believe the better informed and prepared we are the safer we are.
With that being said, there is no such thing as guaranteed safety from accidents or emergencies.
When an emergency or accident of any type happens, it is very important to remain calm and use your thinking process to protect yourself and your family.
Having a “Plan of Action” ahead of time may make a big difference in the way things turn out.
• Have a severe weather or emergency “Plan of Action” if you do not have one. (What will you do if an emergency occurs in your area or at your home?) (Make plans now not after the fact.)
• Know the difference between Tornado Watch and Tornado Warning.
(A watch indicates tornadoes are possible in the area. You should watch for approaching storms.
(Tornado Warning indicates a tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar in the area.) (You should seek shelter.)
• A Severe Thunderstorm Watch indicates that severe thunderstorms are possible in the area.
• A Severe Thunderstorm Warning indicates that severe thunderstorms are occurring in the area.
• A Flash Flood Watch indicates that flooding is possible in the area.
• A Flash Flood Warning indicates that flooding is occurring in the area.
• If you have not signed up for the Emergency Alerts with the Reverse 911 System through Hyper Reach you may want to go online at www.cumberlandtn911.org and sign up.
This is a free service that uses cellphones or landline phones to alert citizens of incoming tornado watches and warnings.