I recently received a magazine called Allrecipes with an order form and the promise of a free cookbook. I’m not buying, as I have more than needed already. But the following comfort for recipe from Robbie Rice was in it
Chicken Pot Pie 1x
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
I cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup butter or oleo
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust (or use refrigerated prepared crusts)
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) In saucepan, combine chicken, peas, carrots and celery. Add water to cover and boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside. Or keep cooking liquid and use in place of broth.
3) In same saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until thick.
Remove from heat and set aside.
4) Put 1 pie crust into 9-inch pie plate and spoon in chicken mixture. Cover with remaining crust. Seal edges. Make several small slits in dough to let steam escape. Instead, you could make 4-5-inch mini pies using ramekins.
5) Bake pie on baking sheet for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Bake mini pies for 30 minutes. If making small pies in muffin tins, bake 20 minutes. Makes 2 dozen mini pies for munching.
Large pie serves 4 at 553 calories each.
If making ramekins and freeing some, be sure to put name and date on them.
Serve with tossed salad and fruit and enjoy!
The following salad is quick to make and delicious.
Italian Salad Bowl
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn bite size
1/2 head romaine lettuce, cut in 1-inch slices
1 cup fresh zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (optional)
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 jar (6 oz.) sliced marinated artichoke hearts (reserve marinade)
1 cup whole black pitted olives, drained
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
Mix all ingredients together in salad bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper Toss lightly with marinade. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Yield: 4-6 servings
This last thought from Galatians 5:5: “For through the Spirit, by faith, we await the hope of righteousness.”
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: email@example.com.
Until next time,