On April 1st a few of the former Red Hot Scarlet Jewels got together for lunch at the 5th Street Market. The food was good, but the conversation was better. I hope we’ll be able to meet again in the near future.
Company’s gone, but you still must cook. Following is a quick (25 minute) salad recipes which I’m sure you’ll like.
Poached Salon on Citrus Salad
6 oranges (navel, blood, Cara-Cara or tangerines)
4 skinless salmon fillets (4 oz each), about 1-inch thick
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp cooking oil
6 wonton wrappers, cut in 1/2-inch strips
1 bunch (7 oz) watercress, trimmed OR 4 cups arugula or baby spinach
1) Finely shred 1 tsp peel from lime. Set aside. Juice lime and 2 oranges; reserve 1/4 cup juice for dressing. Pour remaining in large non-stick skillet with lime peel and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil; add salmon. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 8-12 minutes until fish easily flakes with fork.
2) Meanwhile, for dressing, in bowl, whisk together reserved juice, olive oil and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
3) In second large skillet, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat. Cook wontons 1-2 minutes, stirring often, until crisp.
4) Peel and section remaining oranges. Drizzle dressing on greens, oranges and salmon.
Serves 4 at 357 calories per serving.
This quick vegetable mix from Better Neptune of Walker, MN will go well with any meal.
Glazed Carrots and Sugar Snap Peas
1 pkg (16 oz) fresh baby carrots
1 lb fresh sugar snaps, trimmed
1 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp butter, melted
1) Place one inch of water in large sauce pan; add carrots. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in peas; cover and cook 2 minutes more. Drain.
2) In small bowl, whisk corn starch, salt, pepper, and broth until smooth. Add to vegetables with butter. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2-5 minutes, or until glaze is slightly thickened.
Yield: 6 servings
Thank You, dear Jesus
For yet another Spring,
To see flowers blooming,
To hear little birds sing.
How sweet Your love
To give again to me
This promise of near life
Because I trust in Thee.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,