Most of us like chicken, and it’s fairly reasonable. The following recipes are from Better Homes Prizewinning Recipes of 2010.
Crunchy Chicken Salad
3 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
2-3 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. each, sugar and black pepper
1/2 cup salted mixed nuts
3/4 cup broken peanut brittle
1) In a large bowl, stir together chicken, celery, mayonnaise, onion, oil, salt and pepper. Cover and chill 2 hours or more.
2) Before serving, coarsely chop nuts. Stir nuts and peanut brittle into chicken mixture. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Makes 4 servings of 605 calories each.
Serve with crispy flatbread.
The following easy recipe goes together in 20 minutes.
Chicken with Apricots
1-1/4 cups dried orzo pasta
1 (15 oz.) can unpeeled apricot halves in light syrup, undrained
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lb. total)
1-1/2 tsp. curry powder
2 Tbsp. olive oil
6 green onions
1) Cook orzo per package directions; drain. Drain apricot halves, reserving 1/2 cup syrup. If desired, cut apricots into wedges.
2) Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp. curry powder; season with salt and pepper. In large skillet, cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 8-12 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once and adding apricots during last 2 minutes of cooking. Transfer chicken and apricots to 4 dinner plates.
3) Cut tops of 2 onions into diagonal slices; chop remaining onions. Add chopped onions and remaining curry powder to skillet; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in orzo and reserved syrup; heat through.
4) Spoon orzo mix onto plates with chicken. Sprinkle with green onion tops.
Serves 4 at 514 calories each.
I have two last thoughts for you today. Ralph Waldo Emerson said: “Write on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.”
This quote is from Deuteronomy 4:29: “Seek the Lord your God and you will find Him if search after Him with all your heart and soul.”
Please send your recipes and recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,