Since my eye doctor said I should eat fish twice weekly to slow down my macular degeneration, I am always looking for fish recipes. I came across a good one in the August 2013 Better Homes. Here it is.
Grilled Fish Sandwiches with Avocado Spread
1 avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
2 tsp. sugar
4 (4 oz.) skinless, boneless salmon fillets
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
4 onion buns, split
1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, about 3/4 cup
1 orange, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
1) For Avocado Spread, in a blender combine avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. water, mustard and sugar. Cover and blend until smooth; set aside.
2) Rinse fish; pat dry. Brush both sides with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt and lemon pepper.
3) For charcoal or gas grill, grill salmon on greased rack of covered grill directly over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side, or until fish flakes easily with fork. Grill buns, cut side down, until toasted, about 1 minute.
4) Serve salmon on buns with Avocado Spread and fennel and orange slices.
Serves: 4 @ 667 calories each.
This recipe is also from Better Homes.
Lemon Ricotta Summer Squash Galette
2 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash, thinly sliced (2-1/2 cups)
1/2 (15 oz. pkg) rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 egg yolk
1) Sprinkle zucchini lightly with salt. Transfer to colander; drain for 15 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Meanwhile, on large piece of lightly floured parchment, roll dough to 10-inch circle. Transfer parchment and dough to large baking sheet; set aside.
3) For filling, in medium bowl whisk together ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, garlic 1 tsp. olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Using spatula, spread filling over dough, leaving 1-1/2-inch border. Top with squash rounds. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Gently fold over pastry edges, pleating as necessary.
4) In small bowl, whisk egg yolk and 1 tsp. water. Lightly brush over pastry edges. Bake 35-40 minutes.
Serves: 6 @ 283 calories each.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,