At Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran we always have a pot luck on the fifth Sunday to honor our most recent members. So here are a couple of recipes to serve a crowd. The first recipe from Joanne Panzetta of Bushnell, FL is extra hearty comfort food with mass appeal.
Potato Bacon Casserole
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1) In greased 8-inch square baking dish, layer half of potatoes, onion, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers.
2) In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk and salt; pour over potato mixture. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Yield: 8 servings.
The following dessert is from Ginger Price of Elverson, PA. It is delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Apple Raspberry Crisp
10 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
4 cups fresh raspberries
3 Tbsp. plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cups cold butter
1) Place apples and raspberries in a large bowl. Add sugar and 3 Tbsp. flour; toss gently to coat. Transfer to greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
2) In a small bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, whole wheat and remaining all-purpose flour. Cut in butter; sprinkle over top (dish will be full).
3) Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings.
This quick, easy, delicious pie is from Eagle Brand.
Lemon Cloud Pie
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crumb crust
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup ReaLemon Lemon Juice from concentrate
Yellow food coloring, optional
1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream, whipped
In medium bowl, stir together milk, ReaLemon and food coloring, if desired. Fold in whipped cream.
Pour into pastry shell. Chill 3 hours, or until set. Garnish if desired.
This last thought from Job 24:33: “He gives safety and support. He sustains the mighty by His strength, and His eyes are on their ways.”
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,