Is your flag out? Today is Veteran’s Day. The leaves are brown and covering the ground. Soon Thanksgiving will be here.
The following pumpkin pie recipe is one you should like.
1 pkg. (15 oz.) ready to roll pie crust
Cream Cheese Layer:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Fit one pie crust into 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill. Unroll second pie crust.
Using 1-inch star cutter, cut out 50 stars; place on baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2) Cream Cheese Layer: In medium size bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth. Spread evenly in bottom of pie crust.
3) Pumpkin layer: In large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, eggs, pie spice and salt until smooth.
Using a ladle, gently spoon pumpkin mix over cream cheese mix.
4) Brush edge of pie with egg-water wash. Overlap pastry stars over edge.
Brush stars lightly with egg-water mix. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Cover edges with foil, reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake 45 minutes more.
5) Cool completely on rack. Refrigerate until chilled. Leave out 30 minutes before slicing.
Serves 12 at 242 calories each.
Here is a festive dish for that holiday party from Cyndi Fynardt of Oskaloosa, IA.
Lime Gelatin Salad
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) lime gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 quart lime sherbet
1 carton (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
In large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Beat in sherbet until melted.
Add whipped topping; beat well. Pour into 8-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray.
Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Unmold onto serving platter. Serves: 10.
This last thought from Jeremiah 32:17:
“Ah, my Lord God! You made the heavens and the earth with Your great power and Your outstretched arm; nothing is too difficult for You.”
Please send your recipes and recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,