Soon Thanksgiving will be here. We will head to Ohio the day before. I usually bring the quick breads, cookies and pies. They are all easy to make and transport.
Today I’ll give you a recipe for Applesauce Bread from Sherry Crow of Mattoon, IL. She says applesauce gives this bread natural sweetness and moisture so less sugar and oil are required.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 egg whites
1-1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp fat-free milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1) In large bowl, combine flours, sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
2) Transfer to a 9″x5″x3″ loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices) of 139 calories each.
This next bread is from Dixie Terry of Goreville, IL, who says bananas and apricots lend sugary flavor and wheat germ gives it a dose of nutrition.
Apricot- Banana Bread
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1-2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1) In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in bananas. Combine next 5 ingredients. Gradually beat into banana mixture. Stir in apricots and peel.
2) Transfer to 9″x5″x3″ loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices) of 168 calories each.
This last thought from VI B. Chevalier.
To each God gives a special friend,
An angel oh so fair,
To lovingly assist and guide
Our steps no matter where;
To whisper words of love and peace
If we but stop to hear,
And then to know with joyful hearts
God’s love forever near.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 24 Peavine Plaza, Suite 104, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,