The following dessert is from Pauline Daily of Fall River, MA, who makes it for her family every Thanksgiving, which will be here in two days.
1 box (14.4 oz) graham crackers
2 boxes (3 oz. each) butterscotch cook-and-serve pudding
2 boxes (3 oz. each) vanilla cook-and-serve pudding
1 box (3.4 oz.) chocolate cook-and-serve pudding
10 cups milk
1) Coat a 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Line bottom with single layer of graham crackers. Cut pieces to fit if necessary. Save scraps. Cook butterscotch pudding per package directions, about 10 minutes. Pour over layer of graham crackers.
3) Place another layer of graham crackers over butterscotch pudding. Cook vanilla pudding per package directions, about 10 minutes. Pour evenly over crackers.
4) Place a final layer of crackers over vanilla pudding. Cook chocolate pudding per package directions, about 10 minutes. Pour evenly over crackers.
5) Finely crush remaining graham crackers and scraps. Sprinkle over the top of the chocolate pudding layer. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Cut into squares.
Note: To serve with whipped cream, beat 1 cup heavy cream, 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla to stiff peaks.
If there are 6 or less of you for Thanksgiving dinner, here is a chicken recipe from Johanna Burks of Marshfield, MO.
Curried Honey Chicken
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1-2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
6 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 oz. each)
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients; set aside 1/3 cup for basting.
Dip chicken in remaining butter mix; place in well greased 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, basting occasionally with reserved butter mixture.
Remove chicken and keep warm. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
Stir in the pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes, or until thickened.
Drizzle over chicken.
Yield: 6 servings.
The following quickly made cranberry salad serves 8.
1 pkg. (3 oz.) raspberry-flavored gelatin
1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry cranberry sauce
1 Granny Smith apple, diced
1 large orange, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
dash ground cloves
1) Prepare gelatin per package directions in an 8” x 8” x 2” baking dish.
2) Stir in cranberries, apple, orange, walnuts, cinnamon and cloves.
3) Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
Serves: 8 at 220 calories each.
Please send your recipes and recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,