Last year I sat in the hospital waiting room when my sister-in-law, Norma, had the first toe removed from her right foot.
Now she has no toes on that foot.
But while sitting there I wrote the following poem.
Praise the Lord
Praise the Lord for everything,
At daylight and at dark.
Praise Him for the birds that sing
Be it sparrow or a lark.
Praise Him for the friends you have
And for strangers, too!
Praise Him in sorry or in pain.
He will take care of you.
I praise my Lord for everything.
That’s all that I can do.
I know He’s given all for me
And that will see me through.
Now for some apple recipes. The first is from Liz Titler of Madison, OH.
Makeover Apple Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
1/3 cup cold butter
1) In large bowl, combine first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened. Fold in apples. Transfer to two 8” x 4” loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
2) For topping, combine flour, sugar and walnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes,or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks.
Yield: 2 loaves of 12 slices each.
If you like chocolate – this is for you.
Ghirardelli Ultimate Chocolate Fondue
1-1/4 cups whole milk or heavy cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
6 oz. Ghirardeli: 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate baking bar, broken into 1-inch pieces
6 oz. Ghirardelli: Milk Chocolate baking bar, broken into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbsp. chocolate liqueur (optional)
1) In medium saucepan, combine milk, vanilla and butter.
2) Heat over medium heat until mix simmers.
3) Remove and stir in chocolates until smooth.
4) Serve warm. Serves 4 to 6.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,