I recently read an article that stated that one cup of black beans gives 15 grams of fiber. If we add beans to four dishes each week we could cut our risk of heart disease by 22 percent. This information is from researchers at Tulane University.
The following recipe from Kathy Hewitt of Cranston, RI is an unusual use of black beans.
Black Bean Brownie
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
3 Tbsp. canola oil
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1) Place beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in food processor; cover and process until blended. Add eggs, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; cover and process until smooth.
2) Transfer to 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 12 bars of 167 calories each.
The following gluten-free recipe with black beans is from Incredibly Easy Gluten-Free Recipes, published in 2009.
Southwest Spaghetti Squash
1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs.)
1 can (14 oz.) Mexican-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large baking pan and 1-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick coking spray. Cut squash in half length-wise. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or just until tender. Shred hot squash with fork; place in large bowl. (Use oven mitts to protect hands.)
2) Add tomatoes, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and pepper; toss well. Spoon mix into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
3) Bake, uncovered, 30/35 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
This last thought from Revelation 22:1: ” Then the angel showed me the river of life-giving water, sparkling like crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.”
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Rd., Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,