This will be the last column on apples for awhile, but I had to include these moist, nutty bars from Jennifer Dzubinski of San Antonio, TX.
Apple Walnut Squares
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1) In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until just combined. Stir in apples and walnuts.
2) Pour into greased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. cool on wire rack.
Yield: 16 servings
If you like apples and candy, you’ll surely like this pie recipe from Irene Evenson of Minto, ND.
Sweet Apple Pie
Pastry for double crust pie (9-inch)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp each, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled, tart apples (about 6 medium)
1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
2 Tbsp butter
Heavy whipping cream, optional
1) Line 9-inch pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. In large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Stir in toffee bits. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
2) Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; make decorative cutouts in pastry. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush top with cream, if desired. Cover edges loosely with foil.
3) Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes more, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack. Store in refrigerator until served.
Yield: 6-8 servings
This last thought from Nora M. Bozeman
I Love October Days
I love October’s tranquil days
Of picture-perfect charm,
With haystacks on the hillside
And orange pumpkin farms.
I love October’s magic days
When colorful trees abound,
And Autumn’s red and russet leaves
Come tumbling to the ground.
I love October’s glory days
That sweep in on padded feet,
Spread a Fall umbrella,
Then run off to Winter meet.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 24 Peavine Plaza, Suite 104, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,