October is here and apples are definitely in. This first recipe is from Leora Muellerliele, who has written her own cookbook.
Apple Turnovers with Custard
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups milk or half-and-half
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 medium baking apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. butter, diced
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Pastry for double-crust pie
1) Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir 1 cup into yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
2) Cover surface of custard with waxed paper; chill.
Place apples in bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch; mix with apples and set aside.
3) Divide pastry into 8 portions, roll each into a 5-inch square. Spoon filling off-center on each. Brush edges with milk.
Fold over to form a triangle; seal. Crimp with tines of fork. Make steam vents on top. Brush with milk. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve warm with custard.
Yield: 8 servings.
This next yummy recipe is from Janice White of Encampment, WY.
Apple Strudel Cheesecake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup vanilla extract
1/3 cup cold butter
4 cups sliced, peeled tart apples
2 pkgs (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup walnuts
1) In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and vanilla; add dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into bottom of ungreased 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
2) Place apples in ungreased 13” x 9”x 2” baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender; drain and cool. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. Pour over crust.
3) Toss baked apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Arrange apples over cream cheese layer; drizzle with any remaining cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with nuts.
3) Bake at 475 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 45-50 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate 4 hours or more. Use sharp knife to cut. Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 12 servings.
This last thought from Psalm 57:2: “Have mercy on me, God, have mercy on me. In You I seek shelter. In the shadow of Your wings I seek shelter till harm passes by.”
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,