Since our daughter is now on a gluten-free diet and I should have fish twice a week, I thought I’d combine the two. The following recipes come from the cook book, Incredibly Easy Gluten-Free Recipes, copyright 2009.
Tuna Steaks with Tomatoes & Olives
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, quartered and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1-1/3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced, drained black olives
2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 tuna steaks (3/4-inch thick)
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1) Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives, anchovies, if desired, basil, 1/8 tsp. salt and red pepper flakes. Cook until most of liquid has been evaporated.
2) Meanwhile, sprinkle tuna with remaining 1/8 tsp. salt and black pepper. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook tuna 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until desired doneness. Serve with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Tip: To toast pine nuts, place them in small, dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes, or until nuts are fragrant and golden. Watch closely – pine nuts scorch easily.
1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
1-3/4 cup diced tomatoes, drained
6 black olives, coarsely chopped
4 green olives, coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. salmon fillets
1) Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, parsley, capers, garlic and pepper; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
2) Cook tomato mix 5 minutes, or until reduced by about 1/3, stirring occasionally.
3) Rinse salmon. Pat dry with paper towels. Push sauce to one side of skillet. Add salmon; spoon sauce over. Cover and cook 15 minutes, or until salmon flakes when fork tested.
This last thought from Psalms 111:3: “Majestic and glorious is Your work, Your wise design endures forever.
Please send your recipes or recipe requests to: The Vista, 5413 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571 or email to: [email protected]
Until next time,