For The Vista
It was a dry, sunny day on July 23 — perfect for a morning of golf. That was just what the Fairfield Glade Women’s Nine-Hole League was hoping for its fundraiser — Susan G Komen’s Rally for the Cure.
The golf event was held at the Heatherhurst Golf Club on the back of the Brae course and an award/ luncheon was held at the club on the veranda following the action.
The fundraiser proved to be a success with 75 golfers signed up for the golf event.
Co-chairs Jenny Lamb and Diana Riffle estimate that over $2,000 was raised for the Komen Affilliate Network (75% of all the funds raised by the Affiliates stays in the local communities. The remaining 25% goes toward life-saving breast cancer research).
Rally events have proven to be a great reminder for women to get their annual screening for early Breast Cancer detection.
This rally had two main sponsors, Cumberland Eye Center and Cumberland Medical Center. The league is very appreciative to both, it is a great source of pride that our community rallies against breast cancer.
Dan Richardson, representing Cumberland Eye Center, sponsored Hole 13 with the “Closest to the Pin”contest.
Every participate received golf tees and a ball.
Three door prizes were offered with Sara Drake winning a pair of sunglasses and a free eye exam was won by Diana Trotter.
Two bottles of wine were won by Pauline Robbins — in fact, Robbins won the monetary prize for “closest to the pin.”
The Cumberland Medical Center was represented by a large group, lead by Debi Davis, Director of Physician’s Relations; Trish Vaughn ,Nurse Navigator for the Breast Center; Jordan Johnson, Director of CMC Cancer Center;, David Manestar,Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Director; and Babs Sanders, Director of Medical Imaging.
They began the day giving out bottles of water, bug spray, apples, sunscreen to the golfers and ending the event with a salad bar luncheon. All were introduced afterwards with a short description of their job responsibilities and commitments to the general health of their patients.
CMC also provided two door prizes: Nancy Burleson won two Playhouse tickets and a gift basket was awarded to Donna Matheus.
Many raffle tickets were sold and the golfers had the opportunity to place the tickets in individual bins for a chance to win their favorite item.
Local businesses generously gave door prizes, they are as listed: Lefty’s gift certificate won by Janelle Overby; Initial Outfitters gift certificate won by Chris Celik; Carol Radtke won the Komen gifts — a hybrid golf club and a pair of Etonic golf shoes; Sue Moss won a gift certificate from French’s Shoes and a gift certificate for a massage or facial at Brownstone’s.
Rounds of golf given by Fairfield Glade Pro Steve Kraft were: Nancy Lydic, Suzanne Harris, Connie Garrison and Monica Oster,.
Pink headcovers were made by Donna Courtney and were won by Carol Goesciewski.
Donna Courtney won the “Blue Purse” donated by Sara Drake; Bev McNutt won the gift certificate given by Rusty Rooster; a sport seat was won by Donna Matheus and was donated by Sata Drake; and Lynne Lynch won the gift certificate given by Nailitique.
The grand prize was a pink golf bag which was donated by Sara Drake and won by Sue Pena.
The winners of the event’s contests were: Closest to the White Line was Karen Sloboda; The Longest Drive: Flight A, Cathy Tipton; Flight B, Beverly McNutt; Flight C, Lyn Dietsche; Flight D, Ruth Conrek; and Flight E, Erla Weideman.
The Golf Event proved to be a day of fun, charity and education.